Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Oh Sew Baby: Strip Tango Baby Quilt Tutorial

Hello all, I'm Kelly from My Quilt Infatuation, and it's my turn to share a tutorial in the Oh, Sew Baby Series!


 This quilt is one of my favorite go-to quilts to make when I need a fast and fun baby quilt.  It's easy to put together, simple to vary, and is fat quarter friendly.  That's a win in my book!




 You'll need at least nine fat quarters for this quilt.  Trim your fat quarters to 20.5 inches.  Then from each fat quarter, cut four strips, 4.5 x 20.5 inches for a total of 36 strips.  You'll only need 35 strips for the quilt.  I prefer more fabric variety, so I used more prints.  That's totally up to you.  As long as you end up with 35 strips, you're good!


This quilt really is a snap to put together if you just remember a couple of important "rules."  First, one full strip length is equal to five strips sewn together in the opposite direction-


 This is going to be important to keep the proportions of your quilt correct.  Secondly, the quilt will measure 48 inches in width, which equals two full strip lengths, plus two "short sides" by 60 inches, which is three full strip lengths.

When I make this pattern, I always like to play around with the layout until I am happy with it, then take a picture.  Trust me, the picture can really help if your layout gets messed up. (ahem, pets and children anyone?)


I chose to lay my strips out into thirds.  Notice that the top third of the quilt has two horizontal strip sets, plus two vertical strips?  The other two thirds each only have one horizontal strip set, but seven vertical strips (remember, five vertical strips are equal to the width of one horizontal set).


Once you've decided on your layout, just start sewing your strips together in sections!  ps- I'm a quilting rebel and I do NOT press this until the very end.  Shhh...don't tell the quilt police!


Just join your sections together and, voila!  Your quilt top is finished!  The important thing to remember with this quilt is to have fun with it.  I like to think of it as a puzzle, but you get to decide where the pieces go!  The result is a modern, random look that appears more difficult than it really is.

This quilt is also really easy to modify to suit your size needs.  Bohemian Charm is another example of a quilt I've made with this pattern.  This one measures 60 x 64 inches, so it is three full strips in width by three full strips, plus one "short side" in length.  I did not choose to construct this one in thirds, and it's actually tough to tell where the different sections are, which I love!


The finished quilt measures 48 x 60 inches.  A perfect size for a baby, but still big enough to be useful for years!


I hope that the next time you need a quick baby quilt, you'll give Strip Tango a try, and I hope that you'll hop over and visit me at my blog home, My Quilt Infatuation, for lots of modern quilts, more tutorials, and my weekly link party, Needle and Thread Thursday!


I want to thank Kelly for stopping by and sharing this fun quilt pattern with us! Be sure to check out her blog, My Quilt Infatuation to see all of her lovely work! 

16 comments:

nettie said...

I love this.....such a fun a little quilt...;o)

Missy Shay said...

What a great easy quilt to make! I'm pinning this!

http://thankfullga447 said...

It looks like super fun. Always looking for quick and easy.

Katie said...

oh this is lovely -- I have a holiday quilt that I will be making and I think that this will be a great pattern to use and show off those holiday prints.

Kathleen said...

Love.It. !!

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

I just pulled some Santa/Christmas Fabric that will be sew cute in this pattern. Thanks for sharing!

sewsilly said...

This is awesome. First of all, I love both of the quilts you featured. Second, I sometimes like to whip up a simple quilt for a gift on short notice and this one will be it. Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love the new pattern. I love the material in the larger quilt. So bright and happy looking.

Anonymous said...

I'm crazy about flannel - have a box full of baby prints that I'll certainly use to make a small baby quilt. I appreciate your sharing your ideas. Thanks Pat B

pattygardner.com said...

Thank you so much. Getting ready to make this.

Unknown said...

Thank you for making this tutorial!! I love it. It is easy to understand.

Christine said...

Love this quilt! I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong though... Your directions say you only used 35 of the strips but I've counted 36 in your quilt? :) also, did you use 1/4" seams?

Anonymous said...

I count 36 as well:)

Unknown said...

yep 36!! dang it...

Dunny said...

I count 36 also. Glad you guys noticed.
Love this pattern. Now I know to cut 36 straps.

Bobbie Shields said...

Our small quilting group used this pattern to make quilts for the foster children’s program in our area. Thank you for sharing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...